Call River Cruise Tours free to book 0800 612 5677 and receive a free case of wine. PLUS we have no credit card fees!
Alsace and Germany – what a wonderful place to be during the festive season to savour Gemütlichkeit, Glühwein and Lebkuchen? Be enthralled by the beautiful decorations, the twinkling lights, and the festive atmosphere that only a visit to a Christmas market on a crisp winter’s day can bring. See the amazing highlights of the towns along the Rhine with a local expert, visit the picturesque Black Forest, beautiful Strasbourg and the glorious market town of Heidelberg.
Day 1 Frankfurt. Arrive in Frankfurt where you will be met and transferred to your cruise ship. Before dinner is served, meet your crew at a welcome reception. (D)
Day 2 Speyer. Included today: Excursion to Heidelberg. Today, explore the ancient imperial city of Speyer at your own leisure, perhaps strolling through the Christmas market to admire the festive arts and crafts and colourful hand painted woodwork; enjoy the mouth-watering scent of honey-roasted almonds and hot mulled wine. Alternatively, join the included half-day excursion to the university city of Heidelberg where a Local Guide will show you to imposing castle ruins, built of red sandstone and towering above the city, and the Great Vat – the world’s largest wine barrel before free time to explore Heidelberg. Also, at this time of year an ice rink is set up on Karlsplatz and the amazing Christmas Market, dotted across five squares in the Old Quarter, is crammed with traditional stalls offering savoury Bratwurst, delicious ‘glühwein’, tasty Lebkuchen sweet treats and plenty of other tempting treats. Browse the many craft stalls to marvel at the delightful wooden ‘nutcracker’ soldiers, traditional figurines made from fruit and nuts, and plentiful glittering festive decorations, and enjoy the fabulous Christmas atmosphere created by the sparkling lights draped across the city trees and the dulcet sound of carols, choirs and festive songs. (B, L, D)
Day 3 Strasbourg. Included today: Guided sightseeing. The capital of the Alsace region, Strasbourg is set on the border of France and Germany and effortlessly blends the culture of both countries. Home to the European Parliament and Council of Europe, Strasbourg offers up some fascinating sights including the lovely Petite France district, the Gothic Cathedral and Place Kléber and Place Gutenberg – with its statue of the inventor of the printing press. During the festive period, the city hosts one of the oldest and finest Christmas markets in Europe. Dating back to 1570, the city’s famous ‘Christkindelsmärik’ is dotted around Place de la CathÈdrale and Place Broglie and traditionally, its centerpiece is marked by a giant Christmas tree. Stroll through the beautifully decorated and illuminated streets and savour the enticing aromas of mulled wine, spiced biscuits and cinnamon cookies s—a truly wonderful and magical atmosphere. (B, L, D)
Day 4 Breisach. Included today: Excursion to the Black Forest. At the foot of Kaiserstuhl Mountain on the French-German border, Germany’s Black Forest region is an area of unrivalled natural beauty with its undulating landscape of meadows, thick, pine forests, vineyards and picturesque traditional wooden houses. A tranquil area rich in culture, the region is best known for its cuckoo clocks, intricate woodcarving, Black Forest Gateaux and Black Forest Ham,and there’s no better setting for this time of year than when smoke curls from the chimneys of the quaint Black Forest homesteads, with their distinctive sloped roofs and warm, festively decorated interiors. (B, L, D)
All prices and supplements are per person. The prices and departure dates listed in the table below do not show live availability therefore may not be up-to-date. To find out the latest availability please call us on 0800 612 5677 for information.
|Departure Date||Booking Code||Your Ship||Price|
|10 Dec 2015||WFZ||Avalon Vista||£1390|
Prices are based on flights from Heathrow with British Airways. Flights are also available at a supplement from Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Durham Teesside, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hunberside, Leeds Bradford, Manchester and Newcastle.
The Avalon experience
- HEIDELBERG Castle photo-stop
- STRASBOURG Guided sightseeing, visit La Petite France district and the gothic cathedral
- BREISACH Excursion to the Black Forest
- WELCOME RECEPTION, CAPTAIN’S RECEPTION AND FAREWELL DINNER
Included in the price
- Private door-to-door home pick-up service by executive car for you and your travelling companions
- Flights from London Heathrow with British Airways; regional flights at a supplement
- 4 nights deluxe accommodation in a spacious stateroom with hotel-style beds, ensuite facilities and river views. Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors and a French balcony in most staterooms
- All meals on board including full breakfast, buffet lunch and waiter service dinner with quality wines from Europe’s most famous wine regions; afternoon tea with cakes and sweet treats; a choice of teas and coffees throughout the day
- Included excursions and sightseeing trips with Local Guides and a choice of optional tours; headsets provided on excursions
- Services of an experienced Cruise Director
- Gratuities for Cruise Director and crew
- On board lectures, activities and nightly piano music
- Welcome reception, Captain’s Reception and Farewell Dinner
- All transfers, local port charges and airport taxes